Mayan Chocolate Truffles
Mayan chocolate with orange, cinnamon, chili and vanilla
This recipe for Mayan chocolate truffles calls for chocolate with an 85% cocoa content, bitterly and wonderfully dark; you’ll find that the addition of other flavors such as orange, cinnamon, vanilla and even chipotle chili powder enhance the complexity of the chocolate’s inherent flavor and aroma. You won’t miss that sugar one bit. Further, these Mayan chocolate truffles are more simplistic and rustic – they require no hand molding; rather, simply chill the chocolate in the refrigerator and cut away at it to form beautifully imperfect bite-sized pieces. Beauty lies in imperfection.
- 10 ounces chocolate with 85% cocoa content, chopped coarsely
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 vanilla bean
- dash unrefined sea salt
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (learn how to make coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (see sources)
- cocoa powder, for dredging truffles
- Toss chopped chocolate into a mixing bowl with the zest of one orange, cinnamon, chipotle chili powder, the contents of one vanilla bean and a dash unrefined sea salt.
- Bring coconut milk and coconut oil to a slow simmer in a saucepan over a moderate flame.
- Pour coconut milk and oil over the chopped chocolate and seasonings then stir continuously with a wooden spoon until the chocolate is thoroughly melted and the mixture, or ganache, becomes thick, uniform and glossy.
- Transfer the mixture to a plate lined with parchment paper, molding into a log as best you can, and allow it to harden in the refrigerator for eight to twelve hours, or overnight.
- After the Mayan chocolate has hardened in the refrigerator for eight to twelve hours, remove it, unmold it from the parchment paper and carve it into irregular bite-sized chunks.
- Toss the chunks with cocoa powder and serve.
YIELD: About two dozen Mayan chocolate truffles.
TIME: 10 minutes (active), 8 to 12 hours (refrigeration)
NOTES: Unless you live in a very hot climate, these truffles should keep at room temperature indefinitely.
May you celebrate today in the arms of someone who drives your passion.