There are many amazing attractions in the Riviera Maya but here is a list of what we believe is the top 5:
1. Chichen Itza: Chichen Itza which means “at the mouth of the well of Itza”, is the 2nd most visited archeological site of Mexico today. The Kukulkan Pyramid in Chichen-Itza which known as “El Castillo” (the castle), is one of the new seven wonders of the world elected on 07.07.2007. It is exactly 24 metres high considering the upper platform. This magnificent site is about a 2-hour drive from the Riviera Maya region and there are many different tour options you can take.
2. Playa del Carmen: Playa, as locals call it, is located about 40 miles south of Cancun on the beautiful coast of the Riviera Maya. This once sleepy fishing village has grown tremendously in popularity however it has managed to retained its small-town charm. Playa offers a wide variety of activities and attractions, but it’s mostly known for its famous Quinta Avenida, 5th Avenue, with its trendy cafes and shops, wide-variety of restaurants, bars and nightclubs, and its easy access to the best beaches and activities.
3. Tulum: The city was named Tulum because in Maya Tulum means “Wall” and this magnificent city was built with fortress-like walls designed to protect the seaside trading port from invaders and to separate the noble from the peasant class. Tulum offers a unique combination of spectacular beachfront views, archaeological ruins, and a town that is like no other. This is the perfect place to kick-back relax and enjoy the exquisite Mexican culture at hand.
4. Xcaret: Pronounced “ish-car-et,” this one-square-kilometre ecological theme park has a variety of attractions including a butterfly farm, an aquarium, a river raft tour, underwater caverns and a replica Mayan village. This area was named Xcaret because it means “small cove” in Maya and it is located in a small and beautiful natural port. Traditional music and dance ceremonies take place throughout the day, but the highlight is the Spectacular Mexico Night Show, a production designed to tell the history of Mexico through song and dance. Xcaret is a park the whole family is sure to enjoy.
5. Xplor: The newest family adventure park in the Mayan Riviera, Xplor has 13 zip-lines, amphibious vehicles you can drive through the jungle and inside caves with, cenotes (sink holes) to swim or kayak through, and a great buffet restaurant that is all included in admission. If you love adventure, Xplor is the attraction in the Riviera Maya that you really can’t miss!